Friday, March 13, 2015

Cutting Public School Spending

This article describes how Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker wants to treat education. Governor Walker wants to cut spending on public schools, is willing to allow any kind of teacher to teach (including teachers who don’t know how to teacher), cut standardized testing, and support independent charter schools. He also wants to keep vouchers for low-income families BUT he wants to take that money from the public schools. Governor Walker seems to be for charter schools instead.

Capper’s, the author of the editorial, main audience is people who are for public school education. Capper tries to prove that some politicians are against public schools and want to damage them. Capper isn’t an infamous person nor a politician, he’s just a regular guy with an educated opinion. Therefore he can see exactly what Governor Walker is trying to contribute to Wisconsin’s education.


The author states that he is for public school education and paints a bad picture of Governor Scott Walker. In Walker’s defense, I attended a public charter school from ninth through twelfth grade and my school would always advocate for their school system to the government; and they still do. Though I hated my stay there, I can say charter schools are better than public schools. Charter schools are smaller, teachers tend to care more, and students are able to receive more attention because of the class sizes. I went to a public middle school, and though I did learn a lot, I feel as if the charter school I went to for my high school years, Harmony Science Academy, was better. They’re also more competitive with grades, so even with having a 3.7 GPA, I still didn’t make it in the top 10%.

No comments:

Post a Comment